MTN Group reiterates its stand against any form of xenophobia and damage to property and remains concerned about the situation in its markets.
The mobile phone operator announced on Wednesday it has shut down all of its stores and service centres in Nigeria.
MTN in a statement confirmed that over the last day four its outlets in Nigeria have been the subject of attacks and it had to close some stores in Johannesburg.
The company said there are no reported injuries.
“While we remain committed to providing uninterrupted services, the safety and security of our customers, staff and partners is our primary concern,” the company said.
“MTN’s stores and service centres in Nigeria have therefore been closed as a precaution.”
MTN said it is working with the relevant authorities and other stakeholders to focus on stabilising the situation both in Nigeria and South Africa and to ensure the safety and well-being of all those impacted by the unfortunate violence.
“We are also looking at coordinating with key stakeholders to work on medium to long term interventions to this situation.”
As a company, MTN said it remains committed to ensuring a peaceful, harmonious and respectful relationship with all stakeholders across Africa.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has reportedly instructed his foreign affairs minister to initiate discussions with South Africa’s high commissioner regarding the xenophobic riots.
Supermarket chain Shoprite said several stores in South Africa, Nigeria and Zambia were closed and extensive damage had been done to several supermarkets over the past 24 hours.