Julius Malema, the leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), wants the South African government to make the COVID-19 special grants permanent.
Last week, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant of R350 a month for the next 6 months. The grant is to be paid to individuals who are currently unemployed and do not receive any other form of a social grant or UIF payment.
The Department of Social Development will issue the requirements needed to access and apply for this funding.
Malema wants the grant to be permanent and increased to R1, 000 a month, according to Times Live.
He was speaking during a Freedom Day online address on Monday.
He also called for the child grant to be increased to R800 and the old age grant to be raised up to R2,800.
“Since our formation as the EFF we have called for the doubling of the social grants for all people in all grants that are provided by the state,” Malema was quoted by Times Live.
“We welcome the increase of all the social grants and the introduction of the basic income grant for all unemployed people. The basic income grant must not be reversed but must instead be increased to R1,000 per month.”
In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, the country imposed a 21-day lockdown that has since been extended by two weeks to the end of April.
The state will direct R50 billion towards relieving the plight of those most desperately affected by the coronavirus.
“This means that child support grant beneficiaries will receive an extra R300 in May and from June to October they will receive an additional R500 each month.,” said Ramaphosa.
All other grant beneficiaries will receive an extra R250 per month for the next six months.
In addition, a special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant of R350 a month for the next 6 months will be paid to individuals who are currently unemployed and do not receive any other form of a social grant or UIF payment.
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) is warning of a scam that has targeted unemployed South Africans in recent days.
The scam is called – How to Apply for the Unemployment Grant – is circulating on social media.
“Please ignore this incorrect information circulating on social media, it does not come from Sassa,” Sassa said on its Twitter page.
“We are currently finalizing systems for the R350 grants and will publicize the procedure and criteria soon. Also note that the Sassa offices are closed during the lockdown period.”