SASSA Is Dismissive Of R350 COVID-19 Grant Applicants Complaints

Digital payments created by SASSA to help applicants check the status of their applications has failed to do so.

2
SASSA CEO Ms Totsie Memela
SASSA CEO Ms Totsie Memela

All South African citizens who qualify for social relief and economic support packages have received funds.

However, the jobless are still waiting and not even sure if they are eligible or approved to get the R350 allocated to them.

On 21 April, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a R500 billion stimulus package to deal with the negative economic impact of COVID-19.

As part of the package, Ramaphosa revealed a special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant of R350 a month for six months to be paid to jobless individuals.

He said the relief grant excluded anyone who already receives any other form of a social grant or UIF payment.

Despite weeks of cries from the unemployed on Twitter seeking updates about their applications for the jobless grant, SASSA and the Ministry of Social Development remained mum until today. For more read: SASSA Pays 1.2 Million People Their R350 COVID-19 Grant

Previously, on 29 June 2020 SASSA said, it had received 13 million applications for the R350 Social Relief Grant.

The state agency also stated that only 6.3 million applications had been properly completed and deemed valid.

On June 1, SASSA announced that it had paid 116,867 people their R350 Social Relief Grant. 

That was the last time SASSA updated South Africans about the R350 COVID-19 grant.

On June 9, we sent to Paseka Letsatsi, SASSA spokesperson, questions which were ignored like those Tweets by disgruntled jobless South Africans.

TechFinancials asked the following questions regarding R350 COVID-19 Grant:

  • How many applicants have been paid to date?
  • Why have the qualifying 6 million applicants not been paid until now?
  • How long will it take to pay all the qualifying applicants?
  • How many applicants have been disqualified so far?

Digital payments created by SASSA to help applicants check the status of their applications has failed to do so.

Also read: DA Want Answers on SASSA’s R350 COVID-19 Grant Fiasco

Many applicants for the R350 COVID-19 Grant remain frustrated, and those with access to social media are voicing their anger on Twitter:

2 COMMENTS

  1. why did you decline my application,i thought you said it’s for the unemployed yet i’m unemployed infect i haven’t worked in my life,i only finished my maric 2018 and ever since haven’t gotten any source of income from anywhere or anyone for this matter,i have been looking for a job since2019 but dololo and now my application for R350 has failed….how please make me understand how this works.

Leave a Reply