The Information Communications and Technology Union (ICTU) has suspended strike action by its members who work for Cell C.
The nationwide strike at the embattled cellphone operator, sparked by the imminent retrenchment of more than 1,600 workers, began on Monday.
ICTU President Moeketsi Lepheane told union members late on Wednesday that the strike had been suspended.
“This was after receiving legal advice from our lawyers,” said Lepheane.
He said “disciplined and committed” members of the ICTU must stop the strike “until further notice from the union”.
Leapheane added: “We hereby urge all members to ensure that they continue to conduct themselves within the confines of the law.”
Earlier in the week Cell C sought an urgent interdict from the Labour Court to stop the strike. The court ruled that the matter was not urgent. Cell C is disputing the outcome of the Labour Court.
However, the ICTU said it had consulted its lawyers after the ruling and decided to suspend the strike.
“We have engaged the services of two specialist labour law firms – Mkhize Attorneys and Ndumiso Voyi Attorneys,” said Lepheane.
“All members must ensure that they do not in any way engage in any unlawful conduct as that will be used by the employer as a tool to discredit our fight to save jobs that are on the line.
“Our legal representatives are working tirelessly to map out our legal strategy and the way forward.”