Duduzane Zuma
Duduzane Zuma. Image source: Knysna-Plett Herald

Duduzane Zuma on Monday denied that he encouraged looters during the week-long arrest that began as the #FreeZuma campaign.

Speaking to Newzroom Afrikas Xoli Mngambi, the son of former president Jacob Zuma denied his video posted on social media incited looters.

He, however, said he did not post the video on social media. Duduzane Zuma said the Twitter account purporting to him was not his.

“I am not on social media … it’s not mine,” said Duduzane Zuma.

Commenting on the video in which he appeared to encourage looting, Dudzane Zuma said: “I was not instigating any violence … a lot of stuff has been taken out of context.”

Duduzane Zuma’s virtual appearance on the TV station dispelled reports that he had been arrested as an instigator of the unrest.

He said he was aware a police complaint had been laid by the Democratic Alliance party against him and his twin sister Duduzile for inciting the unrest.

Duduzane Zuma said he was not worried about it because “he did nothing wrong”.

Asked if he took any responsibility for the more than 200 deaths linked to the unrest, Duduzane Zuma distanced himself from the violence.

Police Minister Bheki Cele said on Sunday that three people suspected of instigating the unrest had been arrested.

All in all 12 people are being sought by the police regarding instigating the insurrection.

More than 3 000 people have been arrested for public violence and looting.

At least 1 000 of these suspects will appear in court on Monday.

Also read: Mandela Day Turns Into Clean Up Day Of Hope

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here