Unemployment
Unemployment. Image source: Keep Talking Greece

tHER350 COVID-19 grant for the jobless, hard hit by the coronavirus pandemic introduced by the South African Government last year, is back. The grant was discontinued on April 30.

“This evening we are announcing a range of measures to support the recovery of the economy and provide relief to the poor and those who are vulnerable as a result of the measures that we had to impose to deal with COVID-19,” President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Sunday.

He added that to support those who have no means of supporting themselves, “we are reinstating the Social Relief of Distress Grant to provide a monthly payment of R350 until the end of March 2022”.

The R350 COVID-19 grant is for the unemployed over the age of 18, who are receiving no other form of government assistance, including from the Unemployment Insurance Fund and the National Student Financial Aid Scheme.

Also read: SA Relaxes Virus Rules, Relief for Unrest Victims

President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday eased COVID-19 restrictions and moved the country to adjusted alert level three, which allows the sale of alcohol and opening of restaurants.

Ramaphosa said the month-long adjusted alert level four measures had helped to reduce the spread of the virus.

He said infections dropped by 20 percent. Infections in Gauteng were slowing down but in the Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and North West cases were on the rise.

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here