Health DG Buthelezi’s Rise Comes Crashing Down

health
SUSPENDED: Health DG Sandile Buthelezi (Right)

The rising star of the Director-General (DG) Dr. Sandile Buthelezi has come crashing down after the Department of Health’s announcement on Sunday that it has suspended him over a dodgy tender.

Last year, Buthelezi – whose mom was a domestic worker – beamed with pride when he was appointed DG of the National Department of Health on 20 May.

Before his appointment, he had spent two and half decades working his way up through different hospitals and health facilities.

But the inspirational rise from the very bottom to the top came to an unceremonious halt on Sunday.

The Department of Health said: “The Ministry of Health confirms that Director-General: Health, Dr. Sandile Buthelezi, has been placed on precautionary suspension until he appears before a disciplinary hearing regarding his role in Digital Vibes saga.”

The suspension comes just two weeks after Buthelezi said he needed time off to compile his response to queries from the Special Investigating Unit (SIU).

The SIU was probing his role in the awarding of the dodgy Digital Vibes R150-million communications contract that has already cost Dr. Zweli Mkhize his health minister job.

With Buthelezi suspended, the department said Dr. Nicholas Crisp, deputy director-general responsible for National Health Insurance, “will continue to act until the hearing process has been concluded”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here